No, this post isn’t a condemnation of knowledge for knowledge’s sake. But it is a comment on the need for USING the consumer insights you gather in order to live up to the true essence of marketing and consumer-driven decision-making.
These days, marketers have access toa variety of data sets about their users and customers. On the app side of business, attribution and analytics can provide an amazing view into both the health and vitality of your business and in the in-app behaviors of your users.
But one of the reasons why we created the Apsalar Mobile Marketing Cloud was because we wanted to empower marketers to take what they have learned and put it into immediate use building their businesses through data-driven marketing programs that really move the needle on revenue and ROI.
One of the best ways to do that it to focus on delivering a one-to-one user experience that reflects the wants and needs of that person. Such data-driven marketing initiatives leverage the signals gathered through the attribution and analytics processes to define and refine what, when and how we speak to users.
Our audience segmentation offering enables clients to define high-performing audience segments for tailored media and messaging programs. By combining people who have completed a common set of actions, for example, we make it possible to deliver custom messages to those users. Probably the easiest way to understand the power of this approach is to think in terms of specific use cases:
- New User Activation: More and more market research is showing that the first hours and days after an install are absolutely the critical time for determining whether someone will become a regular user or customer. By defining a high-performing audiences of new installs, we can develop and deliver messages designed to routinize regular app usage. And the more times they return to the app during that early period, the more likely they are to become regular users and customers.
- Win-back Uninstallers: People uninstall apps for a variety of reasons. Uninstalls that occur early in the user’s life cycle are the most interesting to marketers because they can provide signals on how to improve user relationships. Many app marketers are now defining audiences of recent uninstallers in order to create messaging and media programs designed to get people to reinstall the apps.
- Turning Intent into Purchases: When an individual searches for products and services in your app, you have a great indication of purchase intent. But one of the realities of our business is that many more people will search than will make a purchase in your app. If you can deliver marketing messages that can drive even modest increases in the number of people who transact in your app, you can have a profound effect on your revenue and profitability. By featuring recently searched items in custom messaging, you can remind users that your app is a great way to get the things they want and need.
- Engaging Cart Abandoners: An even better signal of purchase intent is if someone places an item in a shopping cart. For most apps, 90%, 95%, 99% or more people will abandon their carts before making a purchase. By using dynamic deferred deep linking ads featuring the items in an individual’s cart, we can drive more users to return to the app to buy. For a profound impact on app revenue and profitability.
- Upsell/Cross-Sell: The people most likely to make a purchase in your app are those who have already made a purchase in the past. You can get more of those people to transact again through focused messaging that reflects their past purchases and current needs. Further, many app marketers are now cross-marketing one app to the users of another, related app as a means of driving highly efficient user acquisition.
- Better Lookalike Modeling: Many brands use lookalike modeling – targeting prospects who behave similarly to their users. But what if you could do your modeling based on the characteristics of your best customers and payers? If you could attract more people like them, you can drive your KPIs. By analyzing your best customers and creating audience segments of those individuals, you can work with partners to reach and drive installs from people who hold incredible revenue potential.
I am sure you see how action – closing the loop on data-driven marketing – offers profound advantages versus knowledge alone. Getting that knowledge is essential, but it really only the opening gambit for the highly effective marketer.
Learn more about how the Apsalar Mobile Marketing Cloud can deliver insight + action by contacting us.