Every mobile app experiences at least some uninstalls from users. And for mobile app marketers, a high rate of uninstalls can be among the most frustrating and challenging business metrics. After all the effort to attract users, having them uninstall can feel extremely disappointing.
At Apsalar, one of the questions we have been asked most often when we implemented our uninstall attribution measurement is…
Are users who uninstall lost forever?
Our research shows…absolutely not! In fact, proactive and customized remarketing initiatives can drive conversion rates that are even higher than for your other install programs – if you take a personalized approach and have the facility to specifically communicate with uninstallers.
On that, more below.
First things first: why people uninstall apps
Other posts on this blog discuss the reasons why people uninstall in greater detail. But a capsule summary of the reasons why people uninstall includes:
- Unmet User Expectations: When an app fails to live up to its hype, users question its value and necessity in their lives.
- App Performance Issues: When operation of an app is klunky, whether because of bugs or high CPU demands, users become frustrated.
- Onerous User Requirements: When registration is tedious, time consuming, or otherwise challenging, people may uninstall without even getting to their first real app experiences.
- Better Apps Available: When users become aware of competing apps that deliver better performance or utility, you can expect a big chunk of them to abandon your app.
- App Experience Completed: When a user finishes an app like a game, or no longer has need for its core utility, the app is far more likely to be removed from a device.
- Need to Free Up Space on the Device: When users reach the maximum amount of stored content for their devices, they need to remove apps in order to make room for others. This is a particularly common use case for the developing world.
Since there is a broad set of reasons why people uninstall apps, the extent to which a particular uninstaller will be challenging to win back is going to vary.
Understanding the reasons why YOUR USERS uninstall
To create a strategy and action plan for win-backs, you need to first understand why people uninstalled in the first place.
Using the Apsalar platform, you can define an audience of uninstallers and work with your media or research partners to reach out to these specific anonymized individuals for their feedback. The ability to define and securely share such a target group is part of our Apsalar Audiences offering. You can learn more about that by clicking here and here.
Delivering surveys to uninstallers can provide valuable insights to help you devise an uninstall marketing action plan – one that can both reduce future uninstalls and potentially win back uninstallers.
Data-driven reinstall efforts. Equipped with research information, you can formulate highly targeted marketing efforts to address the challenges and encourage former users to reinstall.
As mentioned above, Apsalar offers the opportunity to define an audience of uninstallers and deliver it to your automation platform or media partners for personalized marketing messages and offers. A series of interviews we conducted with industry pros revealed that reinstall frequently delivers conversion metrics that are well above average versus green field install programs.
But these folks also emphasized that in the absence of proactive remarketing programs, uninstallers don’t return to install an app in large numbers. This use case is definitely an example for which proactive marketing investment yields strong dividends.
To learn more about Apsalar audience segmentation and secure export, contact us today.