A big portion of Apsalar’s business is in supporting companies active in mcommerce – specifically in the retail, etail, travel and personal finance verticals. So we are always watching for new reports about the macro state of the mcommerce industry.
There’s a strong presentation available on the eMarketer site that outlines key trends in retail, ecommerce and mcommerce for the period between Thanksgiving and New Year’s 2014. A couple of highlights:
- eMarketer says that a whopping 19% of US ecommerce sales in the season came via smartphones
- There were more than 150M US mobile shoppers this season
- Researchers observed a strong correlation between phone screen size and the rate of mobile shopping, with the growth of phablets contributing to the strong mcommerce results for the period
- Responsive web design done by a professional like shopify web design expert for retail sites also appears to be a significant contributor
- Retail apps have gotten better and adoption has increased
The key force slowing mcommerce growth? According to consumers, it’s the need for easier checkout.
There are lots of other interesting insights for the US retail arena in the presentation. Take a moment to check out the study here.